Man in Police Custody after Shooting, Headquarters in Windang | Illawarra Mercury

news, latest news,

Update, 1:30 p.m .: Police confirmed that bomb squad detectives were searching a house a few blocks from where a man opened fire on busy Windang Main Street this morning. A press release issued recently stated that the person believed to be at the center of the incident is a 40-year-old man, but has yet to reveal his identity or what may have triggered the terrifying event. . The press release, however, gave more details of what happened on Windang Road near Acacia Street just after 9 a.m. this morning, with police claiming the man shot at passing cars and pedestrians, before barricading himself inside Windang Dive and Spearfishing. . “The owner of the store was first detained inside the premises by the man, before being released unharmed and without injury,” the statement said. Police negotiators, along with officers from the tactical unit, canine squad and local agents established a perimeter at the scene. The man surrendered peacefully just before 10:30 a.m., police said. He has since been taken to the Lake Illawarra Police Station. A crime scene has been established in the dive shop, as well as a house in Windang, which is currently being examined by technicians from the Bomb Squad. Police said there was no ongoing threat to the community. Earlier: A man is in custody after a shooting in Windang on Sunday morning in which a store worker was held hostage at a business for 15 minutes. A strong police presence is still on the scene, with roadblocks in the area causing significant delays. The Mercury understands the man was armed with two rifles – one of which appeared to be a bolt action rifle and the second which appeared to be a semi-automatic rifle – and fired up to six rounds just before 9:30 a.m., then entered in the store dive and took an employee hostage. Tactical police came to the scene and the man was arrested a short time ago. It is understood that no one was injured. A witness told the Illawarra Mercury that she was at the traffic lights on Boronia Street when she heard a loud bang. She initially thought it was a flashback from a car. She drove to the next traffic light where she saw a man in a bulletproof vest wearing a balaclava, black sunglasses and a black cap armed with what appeared to be a three-meter gun in shoulder strap, crossing traffic lights. Disclaimer: Graphic language in the video below She said he was shooting at random. “There was an old man coming out of the corner store. He aimed at him and shot him but didn’t hit him,” she said. The woman said the gunman walked down the street towards the building, then turned and walked back along the street before heading towards the BWS. “He was still shooting at random. Just shooting.” The woman said she was then approached by a police officer on leave who told her to park her car and stay inside. He was then told to leave the vehicle and walk north. “They told me if I wanted to get shot to stay here, but if not, just go,” she said. More soon. Do you know more – [email protected] The Illawarra Mercury Newsroom is funded by our readers. You can sign up to support our journalism here.



Previous Show these 7 productions that celebrate the work of Stephen Sondheim
Next Black on Black: SECCA opens exhibition on black identity and the black body at a tense and opportune time | Arts & Theater