Site: Santa Cruz, California
To look for is looking for a visual journalist who is passionate about digital journalism and uses his skills and experience to help make Lookout’s presentation beyond words and static images.
With new Editor-in-Chief Dan Evans shaping Lookout coverage in our sophomore year, we’re looking for journalists who are excited to be part of a new model community-centric, mobile-centric, knowledgeable and intensely local journalism in Santa Cruz County. Lookout journalists are the prominent public face of Lookout in all the diverse communities we serve.
Lookout strongly believes that only certain stories require the traditional narrative treatment of “stories”, especially in the digital age. And these are the most important with critical human voices and touchpoints, and the imaginative imagery to go with it. The vast majority of stories are more consumable – especially on mobile (where Lookout gets 70% of its traffic) – in other forms. Such as:
- Explainers / 101: Here’s What You Need To Know About X And Why
- Q&A: This person’s voice is important enough to be independent
- FAQ: Great for explaining how things affect people or in situations where people are confused and want answers
- By the Numbers: Build a narrative around the main numbers that stand out in a story.
- Fact Check: People are buzzing about something; we find out a truth to them.
The Visual Journalist will help illustrate, design and explain both simple and complex stories, using a varied approach and using the full power of digital media. A strong ability to work with, assign, and edit photography is required, but we want to go beyond that – using audio, video, maps, data, animation, and interactive elements to bring life to life. our work.
We’re looking for a candidate who brings a designer’s eye to create story packages, which means pulling together the right photos, all possible datasets through Infogram, etc. and impactful.
The successful candidate will be both organized and adaptable, working with our correspondents and editors to create visuals that make our website, newsletters and social media shine. We’re also looking for someone who doesn’t wait for assignments, but creates work and comes up with ideas – from data visualizations to photographic essay concepts to potential animations – on their own initiative.
If this sounds like you, send a CV and cover letter to [email protected] which addresses the following points:
- Your philosophy of current visuals.
- Your background in photography, photo editing, digital design and multimedia journalism production.
- Your knowledge of the Santa Cruz area or, if you are not from the area, how you would inquire.
Experience & skills:
- Foolproof journalistic judgment, intuition and taste.
- A minimum of two years of professional experience (post-college)
- Experience and comfort with the pace of digital journalism first and the digital technologies that fuel it.
- Ability to involve various local communities in Lookout’s work.
- Demonstrated adaptability, especially with new thematic coverage areas and communities.
- Comfortable learning new technologies and working experience in content management systems, production, editing and packaging of stories with related media (photos, videos, audio, etc.).
- Comfortable with Lookout’s correspondent-focused model format and the personality it brings to the job.
- Desire to work in an entrepreneurial and fast-growing start-up environment, embracing the agility and flexibility needed to thrive in a new business.
- Bilingual skills are a plus.
- Data reporting skills are a plus.
- Audio / video experience is a plus.
Benefits and applicationThe Visual Journalist is a full time employee of Lookout Local, and the position is located in downtown Santa Cruz. We offer competitive benefits. Lookout Local is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. .