Whoopi Goldberg is about to take viewers on a guided tour of some of the most amazing cheating stories when the ABC Primetime series from News Studios, The scamreturns for its second season on Thursday, July 28.
What is happening:
- Duplicity, broken promises and greed… the ABC News Studios primetime series The scam is set to return for season two, narrated by Emmy, GRAMMY, Tony and Oscar winner and moderator of View, Whoopi Goldberg.
- Each week, Goldberg takes viewers through the shocking stories of deception and fraud, revealing the trickster schemes, devastating costs and hope for justice told by the key people who lived through the life-changing events.
- Podcaster Laci Mosely (Goddess of the scam) joins the series as a featured expert making weekly appearances. Season two of The scam premieres Thursday, July 28 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EDT), on ABC, and the next day on demand and on Hulu.
- In the series premiere, “The Faithful Investor,” Goldberg introduces viewers to Aubrey Lee Price, a once-beloved Georgia pastor turned financial advisor. Price, who had come to boast over 100 clients in his portfolio and millions of dollars in assets, turned to a struggling small-town bank that needed funding.
- An opportunity he thought was his cash cow ended up being “the nail in his coffin”. He had no way to repay his investors, most of whom were the loyal parishioners who trusted Price with their life savings when things didn’t go as planned. The father-of-four boarded a ferry from Key West to Fort Myers, Florida after sending what amounted to suicide notes to friends and family. He vanished in June 2012 as his victims struggled to put their lives back together and ruin their retirements, but a routine traffic stop solved the mystery of what happened to Aubrey Lee Price.
- “The Faithful Investor” includes interviews with Price’s victims, attorneys and even the preacher himself, who goes to confession.
- This season, The scam will feature the stories of Jim Bakker, who prosecutors say lived up to his old tricks by conning his loyal followers with a bogus COVID cure; stories of a complex romance fraud with victims across the country; ill-gotten gains in the film industry; a counterfeit ring fueled by extreme couponing and graphic design skills; and the billion-dollar theft of the century that threatened the global financial system.